Wednesday, September 24, 2008

$17.45 Chalupa


Today I was guarding the gas station as usual from wrong doers and I was called over to a customers car. The lady inside was waving her arms back and forth like she was fighting off a swarm of killer bees. I walked over to her car and she was crying and her dog with a cast on it's leg was barking like mad!
This elderly lady had forgotten her wallet at home and was on her way to take fluffy to the vet for a post dog vs. car accident visit. She frantically grabbed my hand and started to yell that she was on empty and had to get to the vet!
I looked in her car at the fuel gauge and it was on a quarter tank. Now to us that's gas for days. For her it was the end of the world and a sure sign that she was going to run out of gas and be stranded and left for dead on the side of the road. I had her pull up to the next dispenser and I filled her tank. I guess I do have a soft spot in my heart after all for crying old ladies. She tried to pay me in cash, (we only take plastic at my station) I told her not to worry about it and try and have a nice day and get to the vet.
Later in the day the old lady pulled up and said she had a surprise for me. She handed me a Chalupa! I told her she didn't have to do that and her reply was, well if you don't eat it give it to somebody and they will love me for it. I guess my fellow attendant Roy loves me now because I gave it to him. I hope he liked that Chalupa cause later on when I gave it some thought it cost me $17.45.

3 comments:

DVS said...

You HAVE to tell me what kind of car can get 3/4 of a tank for $17.45. I gotta get one of those. Old people get all the cool gear!!!

Adam said...

Ha, it was a old Ford Tempo with manual roll up windows. Do you still want one?

DVS said...

Um....naw!